Saturday, April 25, 2015

DIY Graduation Card

Tis the season to send grad gifts, and let's be honest...all most graduates want (and need) is cold, hard cash.


I don't love just inserting a bill into a Hallmark card and sending it along, and what kind of DIY'r would I be if I did? So when the grad invites came rolling in, I took to Pinterest to find a unique way to give a monetary graduation gift.

This card is a combination of this pin and this pin.

To make:

  • 1, two-sided piece of paper (or make your own like I did by glueing two together).
  • Vellum
  • Glue
  • Scissors
  • Printer
  • A cash bill of your choosing and a quarter. (This would be particularly meaningful if you used the graduation year currency)
  • washi tape
  • button
  • string (or buy already-made mini tassels at your local craft store, like I did)
  • A sticker (this is optional)



Directions:
1. Follow the instructions on this pin to make the actual card. I chose to have mine double sided, so that the inside of the card would look different than the outside.
2. I chose to place a grad-cap sticker on the front of the card enclosure to give it a nice finishing touch. This is optional. If you choose to use a sticker, adhere it with washi tape so that it comes free without damaging the card paper.
3. Because my paper was printed, it would be difficult to read if I printed directly on it, so I printed on a piece of vellum instead. I used the template from the card pin to decide the layout of my text, then just removed the template before printing. This helped a lot in determining font size and layout. The words read "Be who you are & Do what you"
4. Use this pin to create the origami money heart. Once done, use your washi tape to adhere it to the card. This way it won't tear or damage the card or the money when it's removed.

Voila! Easy, peasy!

-Cassie

See my pin here: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/178244097729407218/

No comments:

Post a Comment